Uncountable / Countable Nouns


Uncountable Nouns

Uncountable Nouns are substances, concepts,emotions etc. that we cannot divide in individual pieces. We cannot "count" them.We cannot count "milk" or "beer" we can only count the bottles of milk or beer.

Uncountable Nouns (Substantivos incontávies) são substancias, conceitos, emoções, que não podemos dividir em peças individuais. Não podemos contá-los. Não se pode contar "leite" ou "cerveja" só podemos contar as garrafas de leite ou cerveja. 
Do mesmo modo todos os líquidos e substancias em pó, são incontáveis (uncountable).
Eis mais alguns "uncountable nouns":

music, art, love, happines, advice, information, news, luggage, baggage, furmiture, rice, sugar, butter, water, electricity, gas, power, currency, money.

Geralmente os Uncountable noums são tratados como singular. Exemplo:
Your luggage is very heavy for me.(sua bagagem é muito pesada para mim.) 
This news is terrible! (Esta notícia é terrivel) 
Obs:embora "news" pareça o plural de "new" o significado é outro,pois adjetivos são invariáveis em ingles.
Veja a paginaAdjectives

Podemos usar "some", "any", "a little", "much" com Uncountable Nouns.

I have some money with me.(Tenho algum dinheiro comigo)
Do you have any rice? (Voce tem algum(ou um pouco de ) arroz?)
I only drink a little milk.(Eu só bebo um pouco de leite.)
I don't have much beer.(Eu não tenho muita cerveja)

TiP:Uncountable Nouns também são chamados de "mass nouns".

Countable Nouns

They are easy to recognize.They are things we can count individually.

São fáceis de reconhecer. Eles são coisas que podemos contar individualmente.

Exemplos? Tá!
dog, cat, animal,person, house, car, bus, pen, pencil, chair, plane, bottle, coin, note, cup, table,book (inclusive aquele book que esta "on the table") etc.etc.etc.


Countable Nouns podem ser singular ou plural:
My cat is sleeping - My cats are sleeping.
There are always too many cars on the streets.That's why I don't go to work by car.

 

Com Countable Noun no singular usamos palavras como: a / the / my / this.(artigos)
(leia tambem-Articles )

I want an apple.(Eu quero uma maçã)
Where is the book? (Onde está o livro?)
I want my bottle. (Eu quero a minha garrafa)
Whose is this dog? (De que é este cachorro?)

 

Os Countable Nouns no plural podem ser usados sózinhos:(sem artigos)
I like very much to eat apples.
Bottles are  usually made of glass.


Tip: "people" - plural de "person" é countable, pois podemos contar pessoas:
There is one person in the park.
There are five people in the park.

                 
Nouns that can be used as Countable and Uncountable
                 Substantivos que podem ser usados como contaveis e incontaveis.


CountableNoun

          Uncountable

There are two hairs in my soupHairI almost lose all my hair
Monalisa is one of Michelangelo worksWorkI have to go now.I can't delay my work
There are many lights over the stageLightThere's too much light in here.
I think I've heard noises out thereNoiseI can't work with so much noise.
My flat has four roomsRoomIs there room for me in your car?(*)
We had a great time on our vacationTimeDo you have time for a beer?

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário